Scotch, panzanella, torn bread, tomato, red onion, herbs olive oil, red wine vinegar matched with Mills Reef Reserve Cabernet Merlot 2012
Ingredients - serves two
- 2 x 250g scotch steaks
- rice bran oil
- ½ baguette, torn into inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 over ripe tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp aged balsamic
- Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Handful of basil, roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Traditionally old bread is used if you have it for the panzanella, if you leave it to sit for ½ an hour before you use that will help the flavours bed in.
- To make the panzanella take the torn bread and add half the olive oil, toast off in a pan with garlic clove until crispy all over then reserve in a bowl.
- Crush the tomatoes into the bowl and toss with the bread, then add the rest of the olive oil, red onion, aged balsamic, parsley, basil and sea salt.
- Finish with ground black pepper.
- Cook the scotch steaks in a pan for about 3 minutes each side until medium rare, rest on the chopping board for a couple of minutes.
- Carve across the grain and lay on a plate, place the panzanella along the top.