Wagyu Bolognese with pappardelle and parsley matched with Mills Reef Reserve Syrah 2013
Ingredients - serves four
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 150g Onion, finely diced
- 20g Garlic, minced
- 1 Bay leaf, fresh
- 600g Wagyu beef mince
- 1kg Whole peeled tomato
- Good pinch of Oregano, dried
- Handful of basil leaves
- Sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 250ml red wine
- 4 portions of pappardelle
- 20g butter
- Handful of parsley
The tomatoes should break down during the cooking process and absorb all the olive oil and juices, you can also crush them at the end to make sure they soak into the sauce completely.
- Sweat the onion and garlic with the bay leaf in olive oil till softened, add the wagyu mince and sauté until broken down then add the oregano and the basil.
- Add red wine and reduce completely then add the tomatoes in whole and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and allow to simmer on low heat for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Adjust seasoning add a pinch of sugar if necessary.
- Boil the pappardelle in seasoned water until cooked, strain and add butter, parsley and seasoning.
- Place in a bowl and then add generous amount of Bolognese sauce.