Roast pork loin with pickled cabbage and red chilli matched with Mills Reef Pinot Gris 2013
Ingredients - Serves 2
- 2 x 250g pork loins
- ½ savoy cabbage, sliced fine
- sea salt
- rice bran oil
- 60ml vinegar
- 35g sugar
- 50ml water
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- handful of watercress
Pork loin is a great cut of meat, choose a loin that has a bit of fat marbling through it, this will help with tenderness. Medium is the best cooking temperature for retaining the moisture in the pork.
- Place the savoy cabbage in a bowl and salt lightly with a few teaspoons of sea salt. Leave to sit for 30 minutes then rinse off in cold water.
- Bring the water, vinegar, chilli and sugar to the boil in a pan, then cool slightly before pouring over the cabbage, leave to pickle for 1 hour at least.
- Colour the pork loins in a pan until golden all over then finish cooked in a 180’ oven, should take 3-4 minutes, don’t overcook as the pork will be dry.
- Remove the pork and slice on a board, place on the plate and garnish with pickled cabbage and watercress.