Mushroom, thyme and chicken livers on toast matched with Piper Heidsieck Brut NV
Ingredients - SERVES FOUR
- 250g Chicken livers, cleaned
- 5 Button mushrooms, diced
- 1 Shallots, fine dice
- 1 Clove garlic, fine chopped
- Few sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp rice bran oil
- 50 ml Madeira or port or brandy
- 100ml Beef stock
- 1 Small French bread stick, sliced thin and toasted
- Black pepper
- Chervil as garnish
An amount of moisture should come out of the mushrooms when cooking so keep cooking until that has dried out slightly. Don’t over load the pan when you are cooking the livers or they will boil instead of frying so cook in two batches if your pan is not so large.
- Clean the chicken livers removing all blood and then pat dry.
- Heat a small pot and add the olive oil then sweat down the garlic and shallot and thyme, add the mushrooms and cook until soft and dry. Keep on the side.
- Heat a large fry pan and add ½ the rice bran oil, sauté the chicken livers until golden on both sides, should not take long and make sure the livers are cooked medium.
- Deglaze the pan with the madeira and then with the stock. Remove the livers quickly and then reduce the liquid in the pan to a sticky consistency. Save on the side.
- Chop the livers through into small dice, then place in a bowl with mushroom mix and the stock reduction, season well with sea salt.
- Using 2 dessert spoons make quenelles out of the mix and place on top of the toasted French bread, garnish with chervil and serve.