Boneless Scotch fillet with caramelized shallot and thyme matched with the Crossroads Milestone Series Merlot 2012
Ingredients - serves one
- 1 x 250g boneless scotch fillet
- Tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt
- 8 shallots
- 2 tsp. honey
- 60ml red wine
- 100ml beef stock
- Fresh thyme
Get a really nice colour on the shallots initially that is where all the flavor and sweetness comes from, if you want more sharpness in the sauce don’t be afraid to add a dash of red wine vinegar at the end.
- Peel the shallots, Heat a pan over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and place in shallots. Fry until they are a nice golden colour.
- Season with salt and add in the honey, making sure the shallots are coated. Cook for a further minute. Add in red wine and reduce by half, then add in the beef stock and cook until shallots are soft, and you have a sticky sauce.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat, season the steak and fry over high heat for 2 minutes on each side, let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve place the steak on the plate and cover with the shallots and sauce, garnish with fresh thyme.