Steak, kidney and stout pie matched with Hallertau Nocturne Double Stout
Ingredients - SERVES FOUR
- 700g beef rump, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ brown onion, brunoise
- 300g button mushrooms, quartered
- 250 beef kidney, diced
- 4 sprigs thyme, tied with string
- 150ml stout
- 400ml beef stock
- black pepper
- 2 tsp. cornflour
- 2x 20cm square sheets puff pastry
This is a classic that I have made for years, if you can't get the beef kidneys, lamb kidneys will do just fine but most butchers should be able to get them no problem.
- In a large hot pot sauté the diced beef in batches until golden on the outside, remove and drain in a colander.
- Repeat the same with the kidney.
- Now add the onion, garlic and the mushrooms and thyme, cook gently scraping any flavor and colour from the cooking of the beef off the bottom of the pan as you go.
- Deglaze the pan with the stout and reduce by half, add the meat back in at this stage then the stock, cook slowly for 1.5 hours until the beef is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and thicken with cornflour slurry.
- Place in a pie dish and top with puff pastry then bake at 180’ for 20 minutes.