Lamb Rack with spiced black olive jus matched with Soho White Collection Pinot Noir 2013
Ingredients - serves two
1 tbsp spice mix:
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. coriander seed
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Grind together in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced into moons
- 20 black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. harissa
- 2 cup beef stock
- 2 lamb racks
- sea salt
Dry roasting the spices helps bring out the flavor, the onions should be cut nicely as they form part of the sauce so take the time to cut them to a good shape and size.
- Toast the spice mix off in a dry pot, once fragrant add the olive oil then the onions, sweat them down without colour for a few minutes, add the vinegar, reduce then add the harissa, honey and the olives.
- Lastly add the beef stock, bring to the boil and reduce by 1/3, check the seasoning and consistency but it should be ready to go.
- Season the lamb rack and then place in a hot pan and seal off until coloured all over, then place in a 180’ oven for 6-8 minutes until cooked medium rare.
- Remove and rest for 3-4 minutes, then carve and lay out on a plate, finally spoon the sauce all over the lamb, season with sea salt.