Smoked Fish Pie matched with Shingle Peak Reserve Chardonnay 2013
Ingredients - Serves Two
- 400ml milk
- 200g salmon, 2 cm dice
- 150g terakihi, 2 cm dice
- 150g trevally, 2 cm dice
- 150g smoked Kahawai, flaked
- 50g Flour
- 50g Butter
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Sea salt
- White pepper
- 200g potatoes, cooked weight
- 20g cream
- 20g butter
- 1 egg yolk
I have kept this fish pie recipe focused on the fish, some people love to add peas to their fish pies or a variety of other things, tarragon is a great herb that works well in this pie if you can get it.
- Bring the milk up to the boil in a pot.
- Add all the fish gently and poach for about 1 minute until it is just cooked, then gently strain and cool.
- Reserve the milk on the side.
- To make the white sauce take a new pot and place the butter and melt, then add the flour and cook out for a few minutes stirring all the time.
- Gradually add the reserved milk stirring all the time so there are no lumps until it is all combined. Season with sea salt and pepper and then cool to room temperature.
- Fold the fish through the white sauce gently until combined and add the chopped parsley.
- Place the mix in the base of two oven proof bowls.
- To make the mashed potato boil the potatoes in seasoned water.
- Strain and mash, then return to the pot and add the cream, butter and egg yolk and combine well, season and place in a piping bag.
- Pipe onto the top of the pie mix then bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180’ until golden all over.