Hallertau #2 Burger matched with Hallertau Statesman Pale Ale (#2)
Ingredients - serves one
- 1 brioche bun
- 200g Beef brisket mince
- 1 Cos lettuce
- 2 slices Brie
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, peeled
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 25g Capers, chopped fine
- 25g Cornichons, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Dill, Chopped
- 10ml Lemon juice
- Sea Salt
- 250g White onions sliced
- 5g Brown sugar
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 250 ml Hallertau Beer
- 1 tsp. Sherry vinegar
- 1 Bay leaf
- 20g Anchovies
- 2 Tbsp smoked bacon
With any great burger it is all about the pattie ie; the mince, so use great quality mince. Chuck is also great for a mix, your butcher can do a special mix for you if that is what you wanted. Then you need a great bun. There is nothing worse than the meat being smaller than the bun once cooked so the raw pattie should be larger than the bun to begin with to allow for shrinkage.
- For the caramelized onion fry the diced bacon and set aside.
- Place the onions in a heavy based pot and sweat down, when the onions start to caramelize add in the thyme, bay leaf and anchovies.
- When well caramelized and golden brown add in the beer and reduce by ¾ until most of the liquid is gone.
- Finish with brown sugar and sherry vinegar.
- Stir through bacon and season to taste.
- To make the sauce Gribiche combine all the ingredients and season to taste.
- Mold the brisket mince into a 200g Pattie. Season and Pan fry, cook to medium and let rest for 5 minutes, in the same pan fry the mushrooms until golden all over.
- Fry the egg Sunny-side up.
- To assemble the burger, cut the brioche bun in half and toast both sides.
- Place sauce gribiche on the top bun. On the base place caramelized onions, lettuce, Pattie, Brie, mushrooms and topped with the fried egg, place the lid on top and serve.