Hallertau #1 battered Cod sandwich, preserved lemon and watercress matched with Hallertau Luxe Kolsch (#1)
Ingredients - serves one
- 160g Fillet Cod, cut into strips
- 1 brioche hot dog bun
- Plain flour for dusting
- ½ Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Dill
- ¼ Cup baby watercress leaves
- ½ preserved lemon, diced
- 1 cos leaf, cut in half lengthways
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Lemon juice
- 125gm Self raising flour
- 30gm Corn flour
- 230ml hallertau No. 1
Simple but amazing, cod is the best fish but other white fish would work and if you don’t have a deep fryer at home shallow fry in a wok would work just as well. You could add cornichons or capers if you want to jazz it up a bit. I have a thing about soft bread, meaning I love it, so use one of those really soft hot dog buns but toast them well for best results or even pan fry them. Once split, add in a little butter, it works a treat.
- Make the beer batter by whisking together the self-raising flour, cornflour and beer, making sure there are no lumps.
- Combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine in a bowl the fennel, dill, watercress and preserved lemon dress with olive oil and salt.
- Cut the bun in half lengthways and toast. Dust the fish in flour then into the beer batter then deep fry until golden and just cooked.
- To assemble, spread a little of the lemon mayonnaise on the bun, then cos lettuce, then add the fish.
- Squeeze over some lemon mayonnaise. Top with fennel and watercress salad.