Fishcakes with curry mayonnaise matched with Sacred Hill Hawkes Bay Chardonnay 2013
Ingredients - serves four
- 500g Fish Trim (snapper, hapuka, kingfish, tuna, salmon)
- ½ Green capsicum (finely diced)
- ½ Red capsicum (finely diced)
- 1 Long red chilli (deseeded and finely diced)
- 1 large Desiree potato (baked)
- 1 tsp Fresh ginger (grated on micro plane)
- 1 tsp Garlic (grated on micro plane)
- 1 Lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Drop Tabasco sauce
- 500mL Milk
- 1 Bay leaves
- 4 Black peppercorns
- 4 White peppercorns
- 1 egg
- 100g flour
- Panko bread crumbs
- 250 ml mayonnaise
- Curry powder to taste
These are great large as a main course or made smaller as a canapé. They can be delicate so once you have rolled the shape place them in the freezer for 45 minutes or so to firm them up and make them easier to handle when crumbing.
- Bring Milk, water, bay leaves, and peppercorns to a simmer.
- Poach the fish in this liquid until just cooked (cool down quickly).
- Sweat off capsicum, chilli, garlic and ginger (do not colour).
- Combine fish, baked potato, and sweated capsicum, chilli, garlic and ginger, then mayonnaise.
- Season with lime juice, Tabasco and salt.
- Allow the mixture time to set in the fridge so it is easier to roll.
- Roll fish cakes in to balls weighing 15g.
- Pane the fishcakes, flour then egg then crumbs.
- Deep fry them until golden brown and cooked through
- Serve with curry mayonnaise and fresh coriander