Peppered boneless scotch with sautéed mushrooms and Brandy matched with Vidal Reserve Syrah Gimblett Gravels 2012
Ingredients - serves one
- 1 x 250g Boneless Scotch fillet
- 2 Tbsp. Pepper
- Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Garlic cloves halved
- 2 Shallots cut into rings
- 100g Mixed mushrooms halved
- Fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Brandy
- 1 Tbsp. Port
- 1 tsp. Sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Cream
- ½ Spring Onion sliced
All mushrooms are good here but I particularly like using shitake and field mushrooms. Use a mixture of the two and cut into an even size, just smaller than a golf ball, they will shrink quite a bit when cooked.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat, Salt and Pepper the steak and fry over high heat for 2.5 minutes on each side, let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Place olive oil in a pan and add shallot, garlic, mushrooms and thyme sauté for 3-4 minutes making sure the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add in brandy, port and sherry vinegar, reduce by half and add in cream.
- Bring to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Place the steak on the plate top with mushroom sauce and garnish with spring onion.