Coq au vin matched with Vidal White Series Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Ingredients - serves four
- 8 Chicken legs skin on
- 150ml Port
- 500ml Red wine or just enough to cover the thighs
- 250g Smoked bacon, diced
- 500ml Beef stock
- 250g Button mushrooms, halved
- 10 Baby Onion peeled and quartered
- 5 cloves Garlic, whole
- ¼ bunch Thyme
This is one of my all time favourites, make extra and freeze in little 1 or 2 portion bags for the times you get lazy and just want a great tasting simple dinner.
- Split the chicken into thighs and legs, place in a container and just cover with the red wine and port, refrigerate over night but mix a few times on the first few hours to ensure the chicken is properly covered.
- Take out the marinated chicken. Pat dry and then fry in a pan until golden all over, reserve on the side.
- Pour the wine from the container through a colander and reserve on the side as well.
- In a braising pan add the bacon and fry until golden, then add the onions, garlic and mushrooms, cook until the moisture has gone.
- Pour in the wine and port and reduce by half. Add the chicken back in at this stage with the thyme then just cover with stock.
- Bring to the boil, skim then place a cartouche on the top then a lid. Bake in the oven at 160 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the liquid or serve straight away.
- Garnish with parsley.