Whole duck with Morello Cherries matched with Villa Maria Cellar Selection Pinot Noir 2012
Ingredients - serves two
- 1 Whole Duck
- 350g Tin Morello Cherries in syrup
- 1 Cup Reserved cherry syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Pomegranate molasses
- 250 ml Beef stock
- 2 Tbsp. Canola oil
If you cant be bothered cooking your own whole duck there are some other options out there, you can buy really nice ready confit duck legs or get a chinese duck which is fantastic with this recipe.
- Trim the excess fat off the duck then roast in oven breast side up at 200’C for twenty minutes, then reduce the heat to 180’C and cook for a further 40 minutes.
- Rest in ambient temperature until cool, remove the duck breast and then legs.
- Remove the thigh bone from the leg by snipping and pulling out.
- Reduce the cherry syrup by 2/3rds add in pomegranate and beef stock, reduce by half.
- Add in the duck skin side down, continue to cook until the sauce becomes syrupy.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan, shallow fry the sage until crispy.
- Place breast and legs on the plate.
- Garnish with cherries, sauce and crispy sage.