Spicy Moroccan lamb shank matched with Crossroads Winemaker's Collection Cabernet Franc 2013
Ingredients - serves four
- 4 lamb shanks
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp harissa
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 500ml water or chicken stock
- 10ml olive oil
These are best done in advance or earlier in the day and makes a great easy dinner time meal, watch the harissa and chilli otherwise this dish can be very hot.
- Trim and then roast the lamb shanks all over the outside until golden.
- Crush the cumin, coriander, in a pestle and mortar.
- In a casserole dish dry roast the spices then add the oil with the onion and garlic, sweat this down with no colour.
- Add the harissa, honey, chilli, smoked paprika, cinnamon sticks and bayleafs and cook out for a few minutes, add the lamb shanks in and roll in the mix, then add the hot stock bring to the boil anmd skim.
- Bake in a hot oven for 2-2.5 hours until it is falling off the bone.