Caramalised shallot tart with goats cheese and thyme matched with Crossroads Milestone Series Pinot Noir 2014
Ingredients - serves four
- 10 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 400 ml good red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- sea salt
- 2 Tbsp cabernet sauvignon vinegar
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- egg wash
- 200g good French goats cheese
- Sprig fresh thyme
The red wine you use when cooking the shallots will often determine the colour of the end product, so use good leftover wine if you have it. Add sugar and red wine vinegar in small quantities to balance out the flavor as well.
- In a wide base pan heat the olive oil then add the shallots and caramelize until they have a nice colour, add the butter then the red wine, sugar and cook until the wine has evaporated and the onions are sticky and a bright burgundy colour, season with sea salt and then add the red wine vinegar. Cool.
- Lay out the puff pastry then slightly crimp the edges. Dock the base with a fork then spread the shallot mix across evenly. Brush the crimped edge with egg wash. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes on 200’ until the pastry is cooked.
- Remove and sprinkle the goats cheese and fresh thyme over the top then cut and serve.