Snapper and eggplant curry matched with Hallertau Stuntman
Ingredients - serves two
- 100g Red onion
- 10g Peeled garlic
- 10g Red chilli
- 20g Ginger
- 1 stick Lemongrass (small pieces)
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp Chilli powder (mild)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 150ml Coconut cream
- 100ml Coconut milk
- 150ml water
- 12g Tamarind juice
- 18g Palm sugar
- 1 large Eggplant, cut into inch dice
- 250g Snapper, cut into 10 pieces
- Rice bran oil
- Sea salt
We serve Hallertau as our tap beer at Madam Woo in Queenstown, these beers work great when served with the Malaysian curries. Any sort of fish can be used here, you can pan fry the snapper before adding to the curry which will give you a slightly different more nutty flavor.
- Place all the red onion, garlic, red chilli, ginger and lemongrass in blender and blend until a smooth paste.
- Use a heavy base medium size pot, heat oil over medium low heat and then add the raw paste and cook out for approx 30mins .
- Add all the dry spices and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until all combined.
- Lastly, add in all the coconut cream, coconut milk, water, tamarind juice and palm sugar mix well and continue to cook on medium low heat for another 20mins.
- Season the eggplant and the pan fry until golden all over then drop into the curry sauce, then add the snapper to the curry, bring to a gentle simmer for 5-6 minutes then check seasoning once again before serving.